Mergers and Acquisitions
The first question which comes to mind for many people is, “What distinguishes a Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) practitioner from a general business broker?” The answer, for the most part, may be attributed to the level of education, training and experience of the individual. Generally speaking, when one speaks in terms of engaging an M&A specialist, one is often considering the acquisition or sale of a company possessing at least some of the following characteristics:
- Gross revenue of over $2,000,000.
- Earnings before interest & taxes (EBIT) in excess of $300,000.
- Historical track-record of significant revenues and earnings which can stand-up to the rigors of financial “due diligence.”
- An M&A specialist is trained to understand the more complex issues of deal making, including:
- The application of appropriate capitalization rates (multiples of earnings) to determine Fair Market Value of an ongoing business.
- The benefit/harm of the “allocation” of the purchase Price between the various assets of the business.
- The risk/benefits of “asset” structured sales as opposed to stock sales.
- The consequences of the representations and warranties made by the parties which survive the transaction.
Additionally, an M&A specialist understands the “ebb and flow” of the deal. He or she can guide a buyer or seller through the tangle of documentation, due diligence and negotiations which usually accompany the sale or acquisition of a substantial business.
EMPIRE Business Solutions has intermediaries who possess the necessary criteria mentioned above to skillfully handle a much larger or more complex transaction.
At EMPIRE Business Solutions, M&A training is an ongoing process. We have developed an enhanced training program for the Empire intermediaries. We provide them the critical knowledge and skills necessary to represent their clients to the highest level of industry standards. Our goal at Empire is to continually refine and add to the skill set of our business intermediaries to ensure that they best represent their clients, regardless of the size of the transaction.
If you have the need for professional M&A assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us.